Materials Technology: Peterborough, Cambridgeshire, 2022-06-27
- Thermosetting (Thermoplastics materials and process)
- Terminology and examples
- Homopolymer, Co-Polymer, Terpolymer, Alloys
- Elements that affect the moulding process
- Temperature and its effects
- Theory and practical – Run parts at low temps, run parts at high temp. Look at pressures and outputs.
- Melt Flow Rate
- Theory and practical – Test MFR of parts ran at high and low temps. Also Regrind versus virgin. 1 material vs another.
- Molecular orientation
- Theory and practical – Show the orientation of polymers within a molded plaque
- Flow behaviour of thermoplastics materials (injection time/speed)
- Theory/practical – Observe plastic effects speed has on injection time and pressure
- Gate shear rates
- Injection speed versus component weight
- Theory and practical – Weight parts through speed changes
- Extent of moulded in stress within moulded component
- Theory/practical- Different hold pressures and time and their effects on strength, mold parts and test tensile bars or charpy.
- Molecular structure for thermoplastics materials
- Shrinkage behaviour of thermoplastic materials
- Amorphous, semi-crystalline
- Theory / practical – Mold semi crystalline and amorphous materials at varying mold temperatures to compare the shrinkage of the two materials.
- Theory/practical – Mold parts with semi crystalline and amorphous. Measure them right out the press and 24 hours later.
- Plastics additives
- Colorants used with thermoplastics materials
- Effect on shrinkage
- Effect on moulding process and component properties
- Practical – Mold parts with 3 different types of colorant. See the effects of weight and shrinkage.
- Identification of different thermoplastic materials
|Dates||June 27, 2022 – June 30, 2022|